Catholic Chaplaincy is a place for you to explore your faith as a young adult, to meet other young people with similar interests from a great range of backgrounds, and to get involved in activities and social outreach.
Our chaplaincy centre is at Newman House, 111 Gower Street, London WC1E 6AR. And for the academic year 2021-22 the chaplaincy is once again open to students and staff of the London universities and colleges. There will be dedicated Masses and events for students. Most of the London colleges also have their own dedicated Catholic Chaplain and student Catholic Society. You can find your college on the menu above.
If you already have a strong faith, this is a chance to deepen it. If you are full of questions and doubts, this is a chance to share them and search for some honest answers about life and faith. Everyone is welcome. Don’t be shy. We hope to meet you at Mass or in one of the remote groups, or do get in touch with your college chaplain directly.
Particularly outside of term time, it is wise to get in touch with the Chaplain beforehand to check if the Mass is taking place.
Sunday Student Masses
[Please see updates on our Facebook page about Mass provision in the Covid situation: www.facebook.com/newmanhouselondon]
- Newman House, 111 Gower Street: 10.30am & 7.30pm – these are our main central London student Masses each week
- Goodenough College: 10am
- St Mary’s University College: 11am (all year)
- Other local Catholic churches: to find your nearest Catholic parish, please use this Westminster Diocese interactive map or visit Google Maps and search for “Catholic church”.
Weekday Student Masses (Term-Time only) – a chance to pray and to meet other students in small groups after Mass…
- Newman House, 5.30pm (Mon-Fri); 11.30am Sat
- St Peter and Paul Catholic Church, Clerkenwell, 5 Amwell Street, EC1R 1UL: Monday, 12.30pm
- LSE: Wednesday 12.15pm (Faith Centre, Saw Swee Hock Centre)
- St Charles Borromeo, Ogle Street, Firzrovia, 8 Ogle Street, W1W 6HS: Wednesday, 12.30pm
- The Oratory (St Wilfrid’s Chapel), Brompton Road, SW7 2RP: Wednesday 1.00pm
- St Mary’s University College: Monday to Friday, 1.05pm
- King’s College London (Strand): TBC
- King’s College London (Guy’s): TBC
- Newman House: Sunday 6 to 7pm and Monday 6 to 7pm
- St Peter and Paul Catholic Church, Clerkenwell, 5 Amwell Street, EC1R 1UL: Monday, 11.30am to 12.15pm
- St Charles Borromeo, Ogle Street, Firzrovia, 8 Ogle Street, W1W 6HS: Wednesday, 11.30am to 12.15pm
- LSE (Faith Centre): Wednesday 11.30am to 12.10pm
- King’s College London (Strand): Thursday 12.40pm
- King’s College London (Guy’s): Wednesday 12.40pm
- Queen Mary University of London: TBC
The Priest Chaplains are always happy to make an appointment, or to celebrate the Sacrament at other times.
Every week a rich programme of activities takes place across central London, as well as all the remote programmes and groups we have planned. You can spend time in prayer, learn about your faith, explore the bible, bring your friends along for a social, play football in Regent’s Park, and much else besides.
The main Catholic Chaplaincy Centre is at Newman House, 111 Gower Street, London WC1E 6AR – see the Newman House tab above for details. But most of the London colleges also have their own dedicated Catholic Chaplain and student Catholic Society with many activities taking place on campus. Click here to visit the “Colleges” page to find out more information about the Catholic Chaplain and the CathSoc at your own college.
This website is run by the Archdiocese of Westminster and focusses on universities and colleges within the Diocese. But this list also includes universities and colleges in south London that lie within the Archdiocese of Southwark, and it provides links to information about their chaplaincy provision.
Our many chaplains work in the individual colleges and form a chaplaincy team at Newman House. They are here for you! Click here to visit the main “Chaplains” page and find out more about their backgrounds and their particular responsibilities.
The main Chaplaincy Centre is located at Newman House, 111 Gower Street WC1E 6AR
There are exciting redevelopment plans underway, for Newman House Catholic Centre, and for the wider work of University Chaplaincy around the Diocese of Westminster.
The plans will involve creating a world-class Chaplaincy Centre at Newman House, in the heart of the university district, with a new and larger chapel, improved facilities for community life and faith formation, a new conference centre for academic engagement, greater inclusivity through disabled access, outward-facing public areas that will attract visitors and passers-by.
At the same time, the hope is to expand the provision of university chaplains and develop a pastoral programme for each university campus that will help students experience the beauty and relevance of the Catholic faith, and help them to grow in their commitment to faith, prayer, service, works of mercy, evangelisation and the discovery of their vocation.
More details to follow…